“Microsoft Office Activation Wizard” screen pops up every time the user attempts to open any of the Microsoft Office Programs., unless the installation of MS Office has been activated. If you wish to get rid of this pop-up, you will have to activate your copy of Microsoft Office. However, sometimes this pop up could be adware or any other malware. Here are the steps to remove Microsoft Office Activation Wizard:
Step 1: Locate and remove MS Office Activation Wizard pop-up from computer system’s processes from the task manager.
- Press the combination of keys CTRL+SHIFT+ESC simultaneously to launch the Task Manager.
- Click on the Processes tab. Review all the suspicious processes. Right-click on the suspicious process and click on “Open File Location” Not down the file location on the computer system.
- Click on the End Process button.
- Open RUN command box. Type in the suspicious process’ file location to open it in file explorer.
- Delete the file permanently.
Step 2: Track and delete the definition of the program from host files, startup files, and registry files.
- Open the file explorer on your computer.
- In the menu give above, click on View tab.
- Select Folder and Search Options.
- Click on the View tab.
- In the drop-down list, scroll down and locate “show hidden files and folders” option and make sure that the checkbox is checked.
- In the same drop-down menu, locate “Hide protected operating system files” and uncheck the box. Now you can see all of the super-hidden files present in any folder and you can identify the suspicious ones.
- Click on Apply.
- Click on OK
Remove MS Office Activation Wizard pop-up definitions from the Windows registry
- Click on Win+R key combination to launch the windows registry editor.
- In the Run box, type “regedit”
- Click on OK
- Go through the registry files and depending on the OS version, delete the files.
- Launch the Windows Explorer. Go to %appdata% and locate and delete all the suspicious executable files present there.
- Close the window.
Fix Hosts file in order to block unwanted redirects on all web browsers
- Launch windows Explorer.
- Go to the Windows directory.
- Head over to System32/drivers/etc/host
- Open and inspect the host file. If your computer is infected by a malicious software, you will notice many IP definitions at the bottom.
- Choose the IP addresses and delete them permanently. Do not delete any localhost entry.
- Click on Save.
- Close the file.
Step 3: Removing Microsoft Office Activation Wizard Pop-up from various web browsers.
- Open Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the main menu icon.
- Click on either Tools or More Tools.
- Go to Extensions.
- Scroll down in the list of all the installed extensions and when you locate a suspicious one, click on the bin button next to it.
- Click on “Remove” to continue with deletion.
- Resent the Chrome settings to default settings.
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Enter the key combination of CTRL+SHIFT+A in order to open the extension window.
- In the Extension window, locate the Microsoft Office Activation pop-up extension.
- Click on Disable.
- Now head over to the Help section.
- Click on the Troubleshooting information.
- Click on the Reset button.
- Click on confirm in order to reset the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer browser.
- Locate the Gear icon located in the upper right corner and click on it.
- Go to Internet Options and click on it.
- Head over to Toolbars and Extensions. Now you can see the list of all the installed add-ons. You can find the unwanted add-ons here.
- Disable or permanently delete all the unwanted extensions.
- Go to the Advance tab.
- Click on Reset.
- Click on OK to confirm.
If the problem still persists or if you have any difficulty while following the above-mentioned steps, contact the Microsoft Office support for instant help.